Monday, May 14, 2018

Daniel's First Chapter

I have never been at a loss for words.
Until recently.  
Trying to describe what is happening in my son's life--in our lives--is not easy for me.  How can you describe the single most beautiful, fascinating thing you ever have witnessed?
Today, Daniel became the writer.
And here is what he wants the world to know--at least for starters. Every word, every sentence--even every comma--all his.  
I am sharing with his permission.  As he told me, he was nervous about it, but "I want you to post it for all the kids like me.  You can tell their parents to believe in their children."  

Here is the first chapter of Daniel's story, in his own words:

I realized that I am different way back when I was little.  I knew I couldn't say what I needed to.  I remember one time my mom kept trying to get me to say cookie.  She was holding a cookie and kept asking me to say the word.  I thought that she seemed like it was so important that I say it.  Her face just seemed so sad.  I wanted to tell her that I just very much would like to say the word so badly.

Going to my grandparents' house, I always wanted to tell them how happy I was to see them. I wanted to let them know how much I loved them.

I thought that maybe one day I would wake up and the words would come out.  Often I would have just little sounds like parts of a word.  I expected to be able to one day get whole words to come out, but it never happened.  I thought I would never be able to do what I needed to make the parts of my mouth cooperate.  The words were in my head.  My parents so much wanted to know what I was thinking.

Every time that I tried to say that I understood my parents I got so frustrated.  I heard every thing they said and understood all of what they were saying. They were not really sure just how much I understood.  They have always tried to help me be happy but I was really miserable.  

I so much kept on hoping that I one day would be able to make them know that I am understanding and I am smart.  

I don't know what I would have done if I had to go through life every day without any words.  I would have lost the true desire to live.  I would have been trapped in only my head and then I think I would have lost my mind.  The world would have remained the same monotonous place and I think I would have given up on ever being able to talk to anyone.  

People have underestimated me.  Like at school, people treated me like I was a little kid.  People would assume that I was like a baby.  They even laughed at me like I would not know they were making fun of me.  Teachers thought I was so easily entertained.  Day after day, I wanted to learn but nobody would teach me.  

I am so glad my mother took me out of school.  I am just making so much progress with typing.  I am going to get to pursue a good education and a new life.  Just the knowledge that my family understands I am listening is so wonderful.  

Life is just harder and really frustrating when you have autism.  I wish the world would understand that people with autism just want to have friends.  








8 comments:

  1. Daniel, I love reading your words and your mom's stories of how you found your voice. We are all so glad and honored to follow your amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, you give me hope that one day I will know what my Miles thinks, feels, likes and doesn’t like. I am so happy for you and your entire family that you have learned to type!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel, thanks for sharing your story with us. You are a great writer, like your mom. I’m inspired and wish you a wonderful future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel, you have a gift from the Lord in writing. I can’t wait to see how you will be used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Daniel! Thank you so much for your beautiful writing. You do have your mothers talent for writing for sure. Now, thThank you so much for your beautiful writing. You do have your mothers talent for writing for sure. Now, the sky is the limit for you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your words, Daniel. So glad you are finally able to share your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to have a conversation with you D! I miss you and think of you often! I am so very happy for you and will make plans to see you soon!!! Love to you, Ms. Henri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly painful and yet beautiful to read this, so sorry that the world cannot hear you, for you have such beauty inside that needs to come out so let it out your way. Understand you are a gift, and that you play your instrument in a different way to others and it is up to us to communicate with you in your world not make you do it in ours. Keep on writing and inspiring, for your vision and passion needs to be shared and you are here to show everyone, that even though your not mainstream, you are special in so many ways and an illuminating light for others to follow.


    I know what it is like to be different, embrace it for it is your divine gift, do not fight it, for the gift will win, be who you are for you count in this world.

    ReplyDelete

The Lost Boys of Sudan

  For me, typing is still difficult, but I want to get back to blogging.  They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky tells the story of the Lost B...