Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Navigating Solid Ground

Next week my family travels to California for a vacation.  I can hardly wait to arrive. I love the ocean, especially the rise and fall of the waves. Oceans are mesmerizing to me.  The push and pull of the tides symbolizes the struggle to maintain balance in a chaotic, turbulent world.  I love how the sand is always shifting, never settling permanently, but following the directions of the ocean, momentarily resting before being lifted and sent along a new path. 

I imagine the ocean as the system that sustains the pulse of the planet, enveloping the Earth with the force needed to balance in the universe. I find myself wanting to be a part of the ocean--a fish never needing to surface, taking oxygen from the water, diving to the ocean floor and escaping the cacophonous clutter of howls, screams, and taunts of a world moving too fast.  I could spend each day surrounded by the protective embrace of the water, enjoying the knowledge that my body was perfectly adapted to this oceanic home, and I would never again feel the pressure of trying to belong in an environment not hospitable to me.  

My autism leaves me feeling like a fish pulled from the ocean, like I am struggling to breathe. My silence only makes me feel more out of place, like a horse out of his stable but unable to race.   

This blog is like a life-vest keeping me from being completely swept aside by a world drowning in noise. This is my chance to finally say to the world
Don't count us out -- the voiceless, the kids who cannot get their bodies to cooperate.  More than you can imagine, we share the same dreams and hopes. We just want to be included. We especially want to tell you that we need your patience. We want to feel like we belong, instead of dreaming about life in another body and another place. 
I must live my life on solid ground. No amount of praying is going to give me gills. Besides, I would miss my family if I moved under the sea, although I could surely navigate water better than dry land. I must adapt to this world as much as I can, but it would be helpful if the world could adapt a bit to me.  I don't want to be ignored, and I don't want to be pitied.  I want to be accepted as someone who matters. 

4 comments:

  1. Daniel, my husband just commented -and I wholeheartedly agree- you should get national coverage. Your bravery and eloquence is a beautiful voice for people who feel as you do. Those of us who know you through your writings are honored to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, you are such a beautiful writer and have always been a beautiful, beautiful soul. I am so happy you have decided to start your blog because you have so many things to say. For now, I just want to tell you that you always brightened up my days at the SLE cafeteria. I remember your gentle touch with your finger. Rivka and I think about you often. Right now, as she sits besides me, and I tell her about your blog and your love for the ocean, we remember the day she went with you to Lifetime; she mentioned how much you loved the water! Daniel, you have a very special place in our hearts, which you have touched in so many ways! I can't wait to keep reading your texts. Hugs from Rivka and her mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel, I can't tell you the last time I've been this amazed. Tears are flowing down my face with joy for you! Your words have given me so much hope for my niece, who doesn't speak. I've always known she's so much greater than she's given credit for. So clearly I see your mom's influence in your work. She's such an awesome chick! Now, you sir, are an author. Your words flow like the water you love so much. I cannot wait to read! You have a magnificent gift and I'm so thankful for parents like yours who's never give up on their children. May God continue to bless you guys heavily! LEAH U ROCK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah and Daniel,find a place to ride a horse
    Squarepeg/horseboy has helped my grandson immensely. We are here in Sonoma California and already love you.

    ReplyDelete

The Lost Boys of Sudan

  For me, typing is still difficult, but I want to get back to blogging.  They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky tells the story of the Lost B...